my first DNF of the year

 As a book reader in general i hate having DNF books. It could be my weird slight version of OCD acting up and needing me to have every single book on my bookshelf read or it cannot be displayed - like some strange version of a trophy cabinet.  Or it could be that I feel bad that I didn’t finish the book. Who knows? 




What i do know is i a DNF is really rare for me. For those who do not know a DNF means Did Not Finish. Even if i skim read the last few pages i can still follow along with the storyline. This year i made a conscious effort to read every book i have started. If it is one that I struggled with (because i can be a mood reader) i would bookmark it until i am feeling more in the mood. Although I always come back to the book given it sits on a table next to me as a constant reminder.

But unfortunately i have  reached that point in the year, where i have officially read my first DNF of the year. I will say i tried so hard to read it. I just couldn't connect with the characters, the plot line and i just felt like it was a really bland story. 

I was really excited to read 'A court of miracles', a stunning twist on le miserable. It takes you down the rabbit hole of what ifs? 

As someone who hasnt read le miserable (which i dont know if this is something in my favour or not), the over hypeness of the book made me excited to read it. So many people were extremely excited to read this book - me included. The cover was stunning, the blurb intriguing but the buck stopped there, unfortunately.

I could not connect with Nina, her plight and predicament and i just felt the book to be really 2D.  I gave this book a really good go, i got 150 pages in and just couldnt do it anymore. 

I felt this book really joined the list of overhyped books of 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts